Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Helping dad

Yesterday (and I did mean to blog this yesterday, it was just a busy day) I took dad to physical therapy. It was the third time I joined him on his endeavors. I'm actually not sure if I am helping him as much as I am helping his wife who has been carrying 100% of the "help-dad" load since he came down with Guillain-Barre.

The PT takes a TON out of him. Simple things like walking across the room or sitting down on a rubber exercise ball and keeping balanced are herculean endeavors. But the whole time he just keeps trying to push himself harder (even to the point where the therapist tells him to stop, he is going to hurt himself). That's just the kind of guy dad is; if you tell him he can't do something he sees it as a challenge. Actually I don't think that's 100% accurate. I think being told he can't do something pisses him off and triggers some sort of "oh yeah?!" neuron that he can't resist obeying. I may have inherited that...

Anyway, speaking of random brain activity a memory flashed back into my head while watching him. When I was really young the family went on some sort of vacation. I don't know how old I was, where we were or even why we were there. We were at an indoor pool and I remember swimming. I also remember starting to have trouble and was going under. I can't really remember why, but I do remember the pool being very choppy (maybe a lot of kids swimming and splashing?) and perhaps that was the problem. I remember going under and the next thing I know this explosion of water went off right next to me. Dad had jumped into the pool and already pulled me out of the water. I remember his smiling face and then the memory kind of ends. It's like 4 seconds of VIVID recollection book-ended by memory abyss. Watching my dad struggle across the floor in PT (in good spirits and chatting up the therapist as he went, by the way) suddenly rose this memory into my head.

Life's funny, huh? I feel like I should end this post with some sort of lesson I've learned or deep conclusion but I think I'll leave it here. Hope the story was at least entertaining.

Off to the DMV! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment